Monday, August 9, 2010
A Damaged Card
The playing card in my hand is painted black on both sides with several colorful sticky smudges. The black varies from charcoal black to a really dark gray. The black is unusual to me. I am not a hands-on artist. I do not paint or sculpt. My knowledge of materials is smaller than the speckles of gray on this card. Thus, I cannot be certain as to what is covering this card. I can only be vague and say the black is an uneven coat of some type of matte black paint. On one side of the card in the upper right corner are a couple of brightly colored sticky splatters. There is a dried blood red, a faint pinkish white, a glossy black and a bright glossy blue. It does not feel like the matte black paint. It feels like the melted Jolly Ranchers that I was saving in my old school bag's pocket. A gross texture that reminds me of forgetfulness and carelessness. On the other side of the card, the paper of the card is starting to split. About a quarter of the card is peeling. When the flap that is peeling is lifted, the underneath of the black is papery and has a faint scratched out red spade symbol. Underneath the flap feels like the crumpled up receipt that went through the wash several times in my jeans pocket. A texture that again reminds me of forgetfulness and carelessness. The card also smells like something I forgot. It is a heavy scent that brings back memories. The smell reminds me of sea salt caught in between the lava rocks of Maui. Now I realize, the color is not a charcoal black but a lava rock black. The grays are like the residue of the sea on the lava rocks. The dried blood red is more like red dirt while the faint pinkish white is like the color of a plumeria. The glossy black is a pebble shined by the reflective bright blue ocean. This card reminds me of home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Chanel,
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful. Great job! You really did well with the description. I like how you start with the well-observed physical facts of the simple, dirty, card, then use the facts to transport you home.
One suggestion: with a chunk of text this long, you might consider splitting it into two or three paragraphs.
Marcus