Wednesday, August 18, 2010

...A twitter conversation between Cy Twombly and Tristan Tzara

CyTwombly: @DADA Why hello Tristan!

DADA: @CyTwombly Hello! How is your art practice going?

CyTwombly: @DADA Today just isn’t one of those days. I’m enjoying Europe.

DADA: @CyTwombly What does that mean? Art is everywhere! You don’t have to paint, you know how much I despise that.

CyTwombly: @DADA Oh I know! I don't consider myself a painter by profession. But, the wonderful composite walls in Rome with…

CyTwombly: @DADA the texture and recycled stone fragments remind me of Dada’s collage work.

CyTwombly: @DADA Anyways, these days, I’m taking a walk down memory lane

DADA: @CyTwombly Don’t be a slave to your own past!

CyTwombly: @DADA Don’t you worry, I am always reinventing myself. I’ve always confused the critics anyways.

DADA: @CyTwombly CRITICS SHMITICS. Pfft, Journalists. What’s your inspiration?

CyTwombly: @DADA I’ve always teetered in between, seeking to describe the unconscious. Organized and ..

CyTwombly: @DADA (what they call) Mindless. Painting and Drawing. Word and Sign. Public and Private. What’s yours?

DADA: @CyTwombly The destruction of painting, logic and sense.

CyTwombly: @DADA Don’t get me wrong, I’ve admired Dada since my college days – some of my first pieces were assemblages!

DADA: @CyTwombly And then you gave into social organization?

CyTwombly: @DADA No. I’ve always been following my own agenda. I’d never give into the showy spectacle of sensual beauty.

DADA: @CyTwombly Now that’s more like it! But, I’ve heard you’ve associated yourself with those surrealist shmucks

CyTwombly: @DADA In my own way I guess. I was a young lad then! But,

CyTwombly: @DADA I would turn off the lights and draw.

DADA: @CyTwombly What does that do?

CyTwombly: @DADA I was seeking the subconscious while looking being true to my search to describe impulse.

DADA: @CyTwombly Ah, interesting idea. But, #FAIL! CREATE! NOT PAINT!

CyTwombly: @DADA I don’t only paint you know. I make sculptures, inspired by ancient Egyptian toys and take photographs as a means of self-reflection.

DADA: @CyTwombly I forget, we do share the same interest for antiquity.

CyTwombly: @DADA Ah, yes. I’ve also focused much of my life to attempting to hold the past in the present.

DADA: Hmmm, @CyTwombly you do have a unique peculiar nature… I like it.

CyTwombly: @DADA Not that I need to convince you of anything but I do incorporate text into most of my paintings, a Dada-esque quality.

DADA: @CyTwombly Of What?

CyTwombly: @DADA The past is the source. I want everyone to know that the past is very much alive. I translate through modern translations.

DADA: @CyTwombly Stop trying to be logical.

CyTwombly: @DADA I do have to mention to you that my happiest of times was in 1960’s.

CyTwombly: @DADA No one cared what I did after I came out with Commodus. Critics hated it.

DADA: @CyTwombly Good! Don’t those pigs invest in intellectual capital! Swim against the current!

CyTwombly: @DADA It was an interesting situation. For years they said I was insulting because I didn’t have conforming notions of aesthetic organization …

CyTwombly: @DADA I paint Commodus, about the cruelty of a crazy Roman emperor, and they say I’m too damn European and over refined.

DADA: @CyTwombly MY POINT IS PROVEN THAT NO “STORY” IS NEEDED! What for Cy? I agree with aspects of your artistic life yet deviate at others.

CyTwombly: You are inspiring @DADA but nature – the land and sea- is my true muse.

Teehung: Hey! @CyTwombly @DADA you guys are rly awesome. But, stop blowing up my timeline! KTHX! #DADAANDTWOMBLYLOVE!

Teehung: BTW! Cy Twombly is not on Twitter and would never consider it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiffany,
    This is a great use of a contemporary form. Also, good job with the research.

    ReplyDelete