Thursday, August 19, 2010

Letter to Bernd and Hilla Becher

Dear Becher,
I went to you guys’ exhibition the other day and I did not find your exhibition was intriguing to me. I do not understand why do you guys spending so much time and energy on taking the industrial building that have similar shapes. What is the meaning behind all these work? They all looks like same thing. To me, it does not carry any meaning. It did not give any explanation of anything. I know as an artist, you must have your own explanation to it. I would like to hear what you have to say about you guys’ work. Every artist should have their voice right?

Sincerely,
Tzara


Dear Tzara,
First of all, thank you for taking your time and attending our exhibition. I am sorry that you do not like our work and believe it has no meaning to it. However, it is how we want our work to be present. We do not want them to carry any specific meaning to it. I do not think every type of art has to carry words or meaning to it. No matter which way artist has chosen to present their work, the art work will speak out in its own way. We start our work because we are fascinated by the similar shapes of how certain types of the industrial buildings were designed. They seem examining similar but different in structure and appearance It seems to us that the designs are repeating itself, no matter where or when it was build. To us, it is serving as a type of documentary. Documentary does not have to take any meaning to it. It will speak out itself no matter what. Our focus is on the time and location of this photograph. I hope we answered some of your questions. Hope you have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Becher


Dear Becher,
Thank you for replying my mail. I kind of see where you guys are going from. I agree with you guys that sometime that art does not have to have meaning to them. As long as it attracts people’s eyes, it is a great piece of art work. After all, we artist can do whatever we want and don’t care about public’s eyes. However, I got few more questions. First of all, why do you guys choose to use black and white photography in all of your work? Also for the title of the series of the work, why don’t you guys choose to use some crazy title? I found most of your titles are too straight forward. Seems like you guys are afraid that no one know what you guys are showing. Sorry for taking up your time

Sincerely,
Tzara


Dear Tzara,
No problem. We would love to hear about what other people think of our work. It is a way to get our voice hears. To answer your question, we choose black and white is because we do not want the color to distract the purpose of the photo, shape of the building. Unlike most of the Dada artist, we do want the viewer clearly know what we are doing. We try to eliminate all the possible destruction. We are trying to invite the viewer to compare the form and the design of the building, not trying to confuse them. Title of the work does not mean anything to us. Our focus is on the photography itself, there is no use for us to make up crazy title.

Sincerely,
Becher


Dear Becher,
Thanks a lot for answering these questions. Maybe I will go back to your exhibition again and hope to find something I like about it.

Sincerely,
Tzara

1 comment:

  1. Hi Evelyn,
    You did a great job with the assingment--puzzling out the Bechers' photographic strategies and reasoning, using Tzara as a muse, and relating the conversation to issues of language.

    Please read my grammatical revision of your writing. I would suggest reading my revision, then revising your initial writing based on my suggestions. You are very smart and are capable of very good writing. For this advanced level course, it is essential that you demonstrate a mastery of standard English. You may want to ask a friend to proofread your writing in the future so that you can revise it before you hand it in. Also, we can meet again individually if you would like. In the future please pay careful attention to over-wordiness, subject-verb tense agreement, and over-use of the word "it".

    Let me know if you have any questions.


    Dear Bechers,
    I went to your exhibition the other day and I did not find your exhibition intriguing. I do not understand why you guys spend so much time and energy taking pictures of industrial buildings that have similar shapes. What is the meaning behind all this work? They all look like the same thing. To me, your work does not deliver any meaning. It does not give any explanation of anything. I know as an artist, you must have your own explanation for it. I would like to hear what you have to say about your work. Every artist should have their voice right?

    Sincerely,
    Tzara


    Dear Tzara,
    First of all, thank you for taking time to attend our exhibition. I am sorry that you do not like our work and believe it has no meaning to it. However, it is how we want our work to be. We do not want our photographs to carry any specific meaning. I do not think every type of art has to use words or deliver meaning. No matter which way an artist chooses to present their work, the art work will speak out in its own way. We start our work because we are fascinated by the similar shapes of certain types of industrial buildings. They seem similar but different in structure and appearance. It seems to us that the designs are repeating, no matter where or when the building was built. To us, our work serves as a type of documentary. Documentary does not have to have any meaning to it. It will speak out itself no matter what. Our focus is on the time and location of a photograph. I hope we answered some of your questions. Hope you have a nice day.

    Sincerely,
    Bechers


    Dear Bechers,
    Thank you for replying to my mail. I kind of see where you guys are going from. I agree with you guys that sometimes art does not have to have meaning. As long as it attracts people’s eyes, it is a great piece of art work. After all, we artists can do whatever we want and don’t care about the public's eye. However, I've got a few more questions. First of all, why do you guys choose to use black and white photography in all of your work? Also, for the title of the series of the work, why don’t you guys choose to use some crazy title? I found most of your titles are too straight forward. Seems like you guys are afraid that no one knows what you guys are showing. Sorry for taking up your time

    Sincerely,
    Tzara


    Dear Tzara,
    No problem. We love to hear about what other people think of our work. It is a way to get our voice heard. To answer your question, we choose black and white because we do not want the color to distract from the purpose of the photo or the shape of the building. Unlike most of the Dada artists, we do want the viewer to clearly know what we are doing. We try to eliminate all the possible destractions. We are trying to invite the viewer to compare the form and the design of the building, not trying to confuse them. The title of the work does not mean anything to us. Our focus is on the photography itself, there is no reason for us to make up crazy titles.

    Sincerely,
    Bechers


    Dear Becher,
    Thanks a lot for answering these questions. Maybe I will go back to your exhibition again and I hope to find something I like about it.

    Sincerely,
    Tzara

    ReplyDelete