Robert Smithson and Tristan Tzara stand at a cafe to order their meals to-go so they can eat at the park. As they stand they discuss the nature of works, words, and thoughts.
They are old friends who have not seen each other in years.
Their differences have united them and created a strong friendship.
.....
Robert Smithson: I read that you think that art must be "forever beyond understanding". I care to know what my critics think of my art. So I must ask, is it dada or do you see something, like you said, that is "forever beyond understanding"? Are you able to find the primitive nature of the piece?
Tristan Tzara: Gyrostasis was a claw, with its nail beds splitting apart forming linear lines. A dead leaf curling upon itself like an insect under siege. Attacked in the core of its very existence. Your brain waves are as different to my thought patterns as the red sea is to the atlantic. I, Tristan, can find primitiveness in art that may or may not be as parallel to yours as are quadruple peaks.
Robert Smithson: Disregarding the conception of time, a life free of constraints, what would you want to do in your life? Perhaps adapt a mild view of nature versus the hostile one you seem to own, or reflect on the abstractions of the world in front of you. Adjust your mind and become self-realized, if you do not feel that you know yourself as you are, or randomly inspire dada in the masses...
Tristan Tzara: My thoughts are blocked by a putrefied vision of humans further eradicating the purpose of our very existence. Being well read in the study of the thought patterns of these creatures we call humans, I can say that my hope for humanity is as limited as the possibility of me rubbing feces all over my face and resisting a bath for days. The mere thought of unrestricted time is as appealing to me as a car with no engine or a piece of land stripped of its water.
Robert Smithson: Do you ever find yourself wanting to be in nature, shifting the course of a trail, changing the shape of the land in a random reflective natural pattern derived from the one's seen on leaves, in mountains, on rocks, and animals.
Tristan Tzara: You find meaning in nature like a human can find meaning in random occurrences. I lack this thought process that makes you, Robert, who you are. All humans, men, women, boys, girls, and in-betweens, find different aspects of life important. That importance can be the lack of importance, the lack of meaning, the lack of knowledge. A piece of art to you may belong in nature, where its components were evolved. To another, art belongs in a museum where it is able to be viewed by hoards of people as rich as cheesecake or as poor as the quality of the water in sewer systems.
Robert Smithson: The waitress is coming. Have you decided what you will be ordering.
Tristan Tzara: Here she is. I will have the pigs thigh with a brush of honey barbique sauce and a side of stomped potatoes with a sprinkle of thin green onions. He will be having the same.
Robert Smithson: You do not enjoy talking like others do you?
Tristan Tzara: The mode in which I speak may seem dada to you but in the control center of my head everyone else speaks dada. How will one know what you are saying if it is not so specific to the point where there can be no alternative meaning.
Robert Smithson: The designation of your word choice makes you a highly abstract individual my friend. The physical nature of our relationship must be quite reflective for you. Like you, I too like matters to be extremely precise. I have described certain pieces of my art in a way where my description is viewed as dada and it is disregarded by those who just like the pieces of land, stone, or paper I transform.
Waitress: That will be 20 dollars sir.
As Robert Smithson hands her the money he says:
Robert Smithson: The scent of the food has altered my psyche, it has re conceptualized the notion of what can be created in a kitchen. Thank you for this abstracted take on Pork.
Robert Smithson to Tristan Tzara: Perhaps I will continue to articulate language in the specific way that you prefer it when I am with you. The faculties of my emotions will allow me to adapt this perception of words.
Tristan Tzara: Flan-tastic.
Hi Sabrina,
ReplyDeleteYou have obviously invested in crafting this writing. If you would like to work on it further, I would suggest that Tzara and Smithson talk in detail about one or two of Smithson's works.
I should have been more specific when I wrote about Gyrostasis, it is a sculpture that smithson made. Tzara was discussing his perception of the piece.
ReplyDelete